Cross-Platform Development in C++: Building Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows Applications
Cross-Platform improvement in C++ is the definitive consultant to constructing moveable C/C++ software code that would run natively on home windows, Macintosh, and Linux/Unix structures with no compromising performance, usability, or caliber.
Long-time Mozilla and Netscape developer Syd Logan systematically addresses the entire technical and administration demanding situations linked to software program portability from making plans and layout via coding, trying out, and deployment. Drawing on his huge adventure with cross-platform improvement, Logan completely covers concerns starting from using local APIs to the newest suggestions for transportable GUI improvement. alongside the way in which, he demonstrates easy methods to in achieving characteristic parity whereas averting the issues inherent to standard cross-platform improvement techniques.
This booklet might be an quintessential source for each software program expert and technical supervisor who's construction new cross-platform software program, porting present C/C++ software program, or making plans software program which could sometime require cross-platform support.
Build Cross-Platform functions with no Compromise
Throughout the e-book, Logan illuminates his recommendations with reasonable situations and large, downloadable code examples, together with a whole cross-platform GUI toolkit in response to Mozilla’s XUL that you should obtain, regulate, and examine from. assurance includes
* rules and approaches utilized by Netscape, permitting them to send net browsers to hundreds of thousands of clients on home windows, Mac OS, and Linux
* offering performance and interfaces which are constant on all structures
* realizing key similarities and alterations between best platform-specific GUI APIs, together with Win32/.NET, Cocoa, and Gtk+
* settling on while and whilst to not use local IDEs and the way to restrict their influence on portability
* Leveraging standards-based APIs, together with POSIX and STL
* fending off hidden portability pitfalls linked to floating element, char kinds, info serialization, and kinds in C++
* using platform abstraction libraries comparable to the Netscape moveable Runtime (NSPR)
* constructing an efficient cross-platform computer virus reporting and monitoring system
* growing builds for a number of structures and detecting construct mess ups throughout systems after they occur
* knowing the local runtime atmosphere and its effect on installation
* using wxWidgets to create multi-platform GUI functions from a unmarried code base
* completely checking out program portability
* figuring out cross-platform GUI toolkit layout with Trixul
Chore: if [ $platform = "macosx" ] then echo "Creating debug structure..." if [ ! -d dist/$platform/debug/processes.app ] then mkdir dist/$platform/debug/processes.app fi if [ ! -d dist/$platform/debug/processes.app/Contents ] then mkdir dist/$platform/debug/processes.app/Contents fi if [ ! -d dist/$platform/debug/processes.\ app/Contents/MacOS ] then mkdir dist/$platform/debug/processes.app/Contents/\ MacOS fi if [ ! -d dist/$platform/debug/processes.app/Contents/\ assets ] then mkdir.
Has turn into wildly renowned. bankruptcy nine describes how one can additionally construct on best of XUL to create your individual cross-platform person interfaces. As an unique member of the W3C SVG (Scalable Vector photos) operating workforce, i'm fairly excited to work out that Gecko keeps to adapt and clear up extra cross-platform demanding situations. the new addition of SVG local help marks one more bankruptcy in Gecko’s portability luck. the knowledge Syd Logan is offering this is the collective perception of.
Written in, and even if the script should still execute make or nmake. the supply of Cygwin minimizes the ﬁrst of those factor to a definite measure, since it presents either perl and sh, and you'll simply build a script utilizing both of those languages to stroll a resource tree and to construct the software program contained therein. And shall we resolve the make as opposed to nmake factor just by offering a top-level script for every software. every one script might easily set an atmosphere variable to the perfect tool,.
let us distribute a recognized set of conﬁguration ﬁles, a modiﬁed site.def, and precompiled home windows instruments besides our resource code. it's going to additionally store builders on our undertaking from having to obtain and construct X11R6, or wade through the trouble of editing conﬁguration ﬁles. enforcing on home windows Let’s set this all up on home windows, since it is the platform that's going to require the main paintings. once we have every little thing development there, we will be able to flow the tree over to Mac OS X and Linux. past.
Thumb is to restrict the variety of insects ﬁxed by means of a check-in to the repository to at least one (unless there are a number of, comparable insects ﬁxed by way of an analogous change). So, now that you simply recognize the elemental rules being utilizing an SCM, let’s speak brieﬂy concerning the implications to portability. first of all, utilizing an SCM isn't a magic tablet that makes your venture moveable. Portability calls for awareness to plenty greater than only a resource code administration approach to ensue. (If that weren't the case, this ebook wouldn't must be.