Etowah County, Volume 2 (Images of America)
Mike Goodson, Bob Scarboro
Etowah County quantity II lines the background of daily voters during this Alabama community.
Largely derived from the collections of neighborhood photographers Bob Scarboro and Hugh corridor, the pictures during this quantity depict the county's championship activities groups, the drive-in theaters and eating places of the post-World conflict II period, and the mansions that when covered Forrest Avenue.
Also integrated are infrequent and seldom-seen photographs—the previous dummy engine of the streetcar line that ran from Gadsden to Attalla, and the wood dance pavilion situated underneath Noccalula Falls on the flip of the century.
This significant cotton mill was once equipped by means of Dwight production corporation in 1895. The mill was once later bought to an organization from North Carolina that operated it until eventually a exertions dispute interrupted operation on the significant cloth plant. the corporate closed the mill and grew to become it right into a warehouse. Returning servicemen are proven right here clocking into paintings on the Dwight production corporation in Alabama urban. After global warfare II, many younger males lower back to the workforce in Gadsden, Attalla, and Alabama urban. This early.
Sam Yancey. trainer Dewitt Dunn is status in the back of the gamers. This infrequent photo from the flip of the century indicates a wide crew of individuals on the dance pavilion positioned at Noccalula Falls. The pavilion was once a favourite position for travelers to collect in Etowah County through the early 1900s. Many dances have been held underneath the gorgeous waterfall. (Courtesy of Don Waite.) locate extra books like this at www.imagesofamerica.com look for your native land heritage, your outdated stomping grounds, or even.
nook of 6th and huge Streets, the place Snellgrove medications was once in operation till 1993. The Dixie resort can be proven during this picture, in addition to one of many hourly buses that ran within the Gadsden and Attalla components. The buses changed streetcar go back and forth till this mode of transportation turned unprofitable. (Courtesy of Hugh Hall.) This photo from 1950 indicates C&S Oldsmobile and the Fayetteville move corporation. C&S Oldsmobile was once a Gadsden motor vehicle dealership for a few years, and used to be positioned at the.
during this place on the nook of moment and vast Streets on October 1, 1947, after this company used to be moved from 408 large road. the corporate closed within the mid-1980s. The Woodliffs, a sought after relatives in Gadsden, owned this delicatessen in addition to a number of different companies. proven during this early 1900 picture, Woodliffs’ Delicatessen additionally provided “fancy desk supplies.” It was once positioned on wide highway among Fourth and 5th Streets. a bunch of guys are proven passing in entrance of the Paden-Ewing.
Alabama. The Municipal Auditorium, proven during this picture, was once later transformed and is referred to now as conference corridor. huge road in downtown Gadsden used to be a hectic position in the course of the early days of 1960. Firemen from the relevant hearth station are proven right here at the scene of a fireplace on the construction that contained Hansard’s Sandwich store and the Bon Ton Barber store. Hansard’s was once a favored position in downtown Gadsden for a few years, and so much older citizens will inform you they had the easiest hotdogs in.