Santa Clara (CA) (Images of America)
Santa Clara, named for the wealthy Spanish venture based there in 1777, lies in a spot as soon as referred to as the "Valley of Heart's Delight." Its black fertile loam produced millions of acres of brilliant plant life and greens for the most important seed farm on the planet, and lots more and plenty of the remaining used to be included in springtime with fruit blossoms. The wealth of its pre-eminent tanning, wooden production, and fruit packing industries gave method to one other kind of chance within the Fifties with the emergence of the semi-conductor. The tiny chip that remodeled the realm of conversation spawned new businesses the following like Intel, nationwide Semi-Conductor, and utilized fabrics, which earned the now city financial powerhouse a brand new identify, Silicon Valley.
The canning tables, minimize and graded fruit was once washed and installed cans. The cans then went to the “syrupers,” and then a can lid used to be positioned over the outlet and soldered, leaving a venting gap. within the cooking room, the cans went into vats of boiling water. After elimination from the cookers, the vent gap used to be soldered and the cans have been lower back for a moment cooking. (Courtesy of Ron Rose Collection.) PRATT-LOW LABEL. The Pratt-Low holding corporation packed California fruit and veggies for fifty five.
Frank Sallows died in 1928, Toledo obtained the enterprise and operated it less than the identify of Toledo’s pink and White marketplace until eventually 1963, whilst it used to be demolished for city renewal. (Courtesy of Margot Warburton.) SANTA CLARA THEATER/GENOVA DELI. The Santa Clara Theater on Franklin road started lifestyles approximately 1920 because the Casa Grande Theater. within the mid-1930s, the identify replaced to the Santa Clara Theater and plenty of generations of Santa Clarans loved videos there. round the corner, the Genova Delicatessen, operated via.
Overshot waterwheel became by way of the movement of water from the challenge zanza (canal). the location used to be later occupied by means of the Eberhard Tannery. (Kuesel and Dresel lithograph, Santa Clara, 1856; courtesy of Santa Clara historical Archives.) CIVIL warfare UNIT. The individuals of Santa Clara corporation H, fifth Regiment, assemble with Capt. H.L. Menton and Lt. William Swope. the kids conserving flags within the middle entrance are J. Travis and J. Rheinhart. The Santa Clara Tannery provided leather-based utilized in saddles, harnesses, and.
COLUMBIAN ENGINE corporation AND TANNER HOSE. The Tiger Engine corporation, geared up in 1855, grew to become the Columbian Engine corporation No. 1 in 1856. The uniform of this corporation consisted of a crimson blouse, black pants, blue cap trimmed with pink and black patent leather-based entrance piece, a black belt with gold lettering, and a steel badge worn over the left breast. the lads at the left, with jackets, are from the Tanner Hose corporation. (Courtesy of Santa Clara old Archives.) Franklin and Liberty Streets. sooner than.
His granddaughter Helen, and his son, Dr. Francis Keith Saxe. This landmark constitution now serves as a house, with the porch got rid of and the door changed with a window. (Courtesy of Mary Pascoe to Bea Lichtenstein Collection.) DR. SAXE’S apartment. Dr. Saxe outfitted a Greek Revival–style domestic at the nook of Benton and major Streets after his arrival in 1851. This landmark constitution, with a few adjustments, is still in its unique situation. An avid horticulturalist, Saxe maintained large floral and.